|Huskies will play the Sioux this weekend at The Ralph|
This weekend the Huskies will begin their WCHA play at the University of North Dakota. The UND vs SCSU rivalry has been pretty heated over the last few years. With the conference reshuffling in the next couple years, it is only likely that the rivalry will increase. The Huskies and the Sioux have a traveling trophy (The Challenge Cup) which is awarded to the team that collects the most points in the four regular-season games between the schools. Additionally, the Huskies and the Sioux have an annual event to provide an opportunity for fans of the University of North Dakota and St. Cloud State University to gather and celebrate the great sport of hockey as the connection between the two fan bases is among the best in college hockey. You can read more about the Challenge Cup and the annual social event at the link below:
|The SCSU - UND Challenge Cup|
Some things to consider about this weekend:
- UND was swept last weekend by Wisconsin
- SCSU put in 10 goals last weekend and earned 3 of 4 points
- Mike Lee is on fire, 44 saves in his last game
- The Huskies record isn't great at 2-3-1, but 1 of those losses was in OT and 2 of them came from Northern Michigan, who just last weekend beat the (former) #1 team Michigan
- The Fighting Sioux record is also 2-3-1
All this is NOT to say that this weekend will be an easy weekend for the Huskies or to say that the Fighting Sioux are doing "bad". It is too early to tell if the Huskies or Fighting Sioux are "bad". I am saying that this should be a very good weekend with two teams that have had early highs and lows. This will be a good test for each team and both will be playing hard in Grand Forks come Friday and Saturday night. I fully believe that the Fighting Sioux are currently (and will be at the end of the season) one of the best teams in collegiate hockey. This is a great weekend for the Huskies to try and start claiming some WCHA points and start climbing up the national poll ratings.
- SCSU Men's Hockey to Battle UND
- SCSU's LeBlanc closing in on a milestone
- Goon's Weekly Predictions 10-28-10-29 UND fans predict a UND sweep
- Listen to the Bob Motzko Show from the Center Ice Club
About the Games:
- Oct. 28, 2011: St. Cloud State at #12/13 North Dakota, 7:37 p.m.
- Oct. 29, 2011: St. Cloud State at #12/13 North Dakota, 7:07 p.m.
- Listen at http://www.1450knsi.com or http://www.kvsc.org
- Watch on Fox College Sports Central, Charter Cable Channel 416, and DirecTV Channel 617
Drew LeBlanc on this weekend against North Dakota:
Husky alum Ryan Malone's pretty game winning goal: