"We know what kind of team they bring. They haven't won as much as they wanted to. I'm looking for a huge challenge this weekend. This has become a pretty fun rivalry. I'm excited about it."A fun rivalry indeed. The UND vs. SCSU rivalry is probably the fastest currently growing rivalry in the WCHA. While a student at St. Cloud there was no team I looked forward to playing most than the University of Minnesota; however, over the last two years I have found myself more looking forward to the UND series. It is probably because the last two years the talent between UND and St. Cloud has been greater so there has been a better show then anything coming from the UofM. Unfortunately, the hit from Aaron Marvin on Genoway last season has spoiled for some fans what could be a fun and friendly rivalry and turned it into something ugly. Here is just a couple of the (quite frankly) moronic comments coming right now over this issue:
"Aaron Marvin, the goon of the NCAA"
"...they got one bad-apple on the team (Marvin)"
"...he (Marvin) is a man on a mission, and that mission was to knock Chay out of the game and possibly end his career."Is Aaron Marvin "the goon of the NCAA"? Nope. Not a chance.
Is he a "bad-apple"? Nope again. I have yet to read anything from anyone that has actually met him say anything but kind words about him.
And probably the worst of all... Was Marvin trying to "end his (Genoway's) career? Not a chance. It was a bad hit. It was an illegal hit. However, it was not done in an intention to end anyones career.
Personally, I like the quote coming from USCHO.com WCHA columnist, Theresa Spisak:
"And it may be my age talking, but seriously? It was over a year ago. I know that there’s bitterness, but honestly. If I may be so cliched, build a bridge and get over it."And honestly, even the UND players are looking beyond this issue and just want to play a great hockey game:
“That’s just in the past now. It’s just a big four points for us.” ~Chay GenowayRegardless of what team you cheer for, this weekend should be some good games and I am looking forward to them. I just hope that fans on both sides can remain cool-headed and just enjoy some good hockey.
"Our concern is strictly with the four points. That’s all we’re concerned with. We’re not worried about getting revenge. That’s not on our minds" ~Mario Lamoureux
Here are some links about this weekend:
- Friday morning reading
- Huskies show confidence in Lee
- Return is big for UND captain
- Comments going into this weekend's series from the St. Cloud State side
- Comments going into this weekend's series from the North Dakota side
- A little historical review of the UND and SCSU hockey series...
- No Love Lost
- This Week in the WCHA
- Weekend Preview: UND vs. St. Cloud State
- SCSU’s Three Keys to the Weekend vs. UND
- Goon's World- Sioux Sweep
- Goal Gophers- Shane- Sioux Sweep, Roman- Split
- Sioux Sports- Sioux Win Friday, Tie Saturday
- USCHO.com- Theresa- Split, Tyler UND Sweep
- WCHA Blog- UND Sweep
- Sioux Yeah Yeah- Split
- Husky Hockey Time- Unfortunately I will have to go Split. Two very talented teams playing each other and splitting kind of seems to be St. Cloud's "thing" thus far this season.