Tuesday, January 4, 2011

SCSU Players Shine During HBO Pens-Caps 24/7 Series

I do not have HBO. However, when I heard about the HBO special Pens-Caps 24/7 series I was almost prompted to get it. This 4-part series chronicles the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Washington Capitals leading up to the 2011 NHL Winter Classic. I was not able to watch the episodes until I recently found episodes 1-3 on YouTube (those links will be on the bottom). The episodes gives viewers a close-up, behind-the-scenes look into the lives of these hockey players and into the NHL locker rooms. Much of what we see is the Pens on an incredible game-winning streak and the Caps on a game-losing streak. Even as die-hard of a hockey fan as I am, I almost found this HBO series as entertaining (or possibly even more entertaining) than the actual Winter Classic hockey game itself. Husky Hockey fans should be pleased to know that a couple of our own Husky Hockey alums got some great air time on the show. Both former St. Cloud State players Matt Hendricks and Andrew Gordon where highlighted in this HBO series. 

Matt Hendricks was highlighted during a couple of fights, but will be most remembered by the HBO audience from his look after a fight during a Caps/ Rangers game. In talking about the fight, Matt said:
"It comes down to having a job and making a career. I think it all started last year when I went into training camp. The season before that, I had a really good camp, had some goals, and still got sent down to the minors. I got called up for four games throughout the year, but it wasn't enough. I needed to figure out a way to make the opening night roster. And talking to a good friend of mine, he said 'You've got to fight.' He said, 'If you don't do it, someone else will,' and I kind of stick by that motto now."

 
Former St. Cloud State Player Matt Hendricks










Andrew Gordon was also called up from the Capitals AHL affiliate Hersey Bears. Andrew was lucky enough to have his first ever NHL goal captured by HBO cameras. He also scored his first NHL goal on (probable Hall of Fame) goaltender Martin Brodeur. You can see the goal below:
Former St. Cloud State Player Andrew Gordon scores 1st NHL goal



You can read a story a story about Gordon's goal here.

HBO Pens-Caps 24/7
I highly recommend watching these shows. The last episode will air Wednesday on HBO (probably on YouTube shortly after).

Way to go St. Cloud State alums Matt Hendricks and Andrew Gordon in representing St. Cloud State Hockey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome opposing opinions and I believe they are an important part of any blogging community. However, please do not post anything vulgar or irrelevant. If you post something that I find inappropriate it will be removed, so please do not bother adding it.